In the average UK home, the energy bill is one of the biggest monthly expenditures, and increasing energy prices indicate that things aren’t going to change any time soon.
On the flip side, even a household’s energy bill is dwarfed by the energy requirements of even the smallest business. Consequently, it is important that all businesses ensure that they are paying the right amount of money for their energy.
What translates to small savings when switching domestic energy can be a much bigger saving for a big business.
How Much Energy Does the Average UK Business Use?
Studying the average business energy consumption in the UK can give you a rough idea of where your business falls on the average electricity and gas usage scale, helping you compare your energy consumption and cost to those of other UK businesses.
Needless to say, your average energy consumption is dependent on certain variables, including:
- The time of year, week or day
- The machinery and electrical appliances in use
- The size of your business
Let ‘s break down the average business energy consumption by the size of the business:
Having a rough idea of how much energy businesses of a similar size are spending on electricity helps your business find out if your energy consumption is high – or you’re just paying too much for it!
Average Business Electricity Consumption
The average electricity monthly bill for a UK business is around £3000 annually while the average unit price of business electricity per kWh is around 14p.
Corresponding to size, the following are the average business electricity consumption figures for UK businesses:
- Small: 15 000 – 30 000 kWh annually, with an average yearly cost of £2,566
- Micro: 5 000 – 15 000 kWh per year, with an average yearly cost of £1,349
- Medium: 30 000 – 50 000 kWh per year, with an average yearly cost of £4,208
Average Business Gas Consumption
In relation to size, below are the average business electricity consumption figures for UK businesses:
- Small: 15,000 – 30,000 kWh annually, with an average annual gas bill of £965
- Micro: 5,000 – 15,000 kWh annually, with an average annual gas bill of £516
- Medium: 30 000 – 50 000 kWh annually, with an average annual gas bill of £1,502
So, How do Your Business Energy Consumption and Prices Compare?
You can use your business electricity bills to compare your own energy costs to the national averages above. This will help you find out whether you could be paying too much or using too much.
No one wants to pay more than they have to for energy, and the cheaper you can make your energy bills, the more your earnings.
The good news is that making a few simple changes to how you approach your energy usage can make a huge difference to your overheads. Here are some of the changes you can make:
- Compare and switch business energy – There’s a large number of business energy tariffs available from more suppliers than you may think, and simply going with the first offer or the biggest brand name is unlikely to get you the best deal.
- Get a contract – If your business is a startup or recently moved, there is a high likelihood you may be paying rates on an ‘out of contract’ basis, which is more expensive than average contract rates.
- Switch your lights – If you own a medium or large business, switching to low energy lighting can save you thousands of pounds annually.
- Invest in timers – Investing in timers that ensure all electrical devices and computers are switched off outside office hours can ensure that your business remains energy efficient when there is nobody in the office.
Importance Of Business Energy Price Comparison From An Energy Comparison site
An energy comparison site surveys the energy market to find out the most inexpensive plan as per tariff and terms. By getting a professional service, your business can save a considerable amount of money by switching to a more convenient plan.
Saving Money through an Efficient Energy Plan
Who doesn’t want to save an extra buck from humongous energy bills? Every household or business needs the energy to run. An energy comparison site will be the best way to ensure your business saves a lot annually.
Why Use Energy Comparison site?
When the rate of energy consumption is big, then switching to a better energy plan is obligatory. Choosing an efficient energy comparison site will benefit you in the following ways
1. Clarified Knowledge of Tariffs
A proficient energy comparison site will research and provide a tariff list of the energy suppliers. Understanding the special plans and tariffs for commercial purposes will reduce the annual energy bill to a considerable extent.
2. Deep Market Analysis
Producing energy is also a competitive market where companies tend to provide the best plans to increase the volume of their clientele.
There’re changes in plans and tariffs more often, which makes it impossible for a busy person to keep track. This is where the market analysis from an energy comparison site comes in handy.
3. Comparing for Saving Money
With their guidance, you can learn more about customer care service, account management, schemes, rewards, payment options, contracts etc. of an energy supplier. By having a profound knowledge, you will get the best deal and save a considerable amount from paying reduced bills.
Business energy prices change frequently. The price updates provided by a business energy price comparison site helps you compare the latest energy prices. Consequently, your businesses can track changes in the market prices of business energy and purchase at a reasonable price.
Author: Alex Taylor